Kyle has been serving his mission for...

Kyle has been serving his mission for...

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sydney South Mission Week 2

Dear Everyone,

Well, Transfer week is over! We had a hectic few days in planning everyone's travel to and from transfers, making sure new flats were open and ready for missionaries to move into, the appropriate cars were switched, phones and keys were assigned properly and all the other minor assignments were done correctly. I will admit there was quite a bit of stress in the air as I had many questions coming to me, and very few answers haha but it worked out okay! :) Then, after the inital transfer Monday, we had to prepare for the missionaries who were leaving on Tuesday, then had to organize and finalize details for the missionaries coming in on Wednesday, and the orientation meeting on Thursday. Needless to say that transfers week is a busy one, but that is also enjoyable as well :)

My Letter to President adds some more as well:


Sorry that this letter is getting to you a bit late. We just finished getting all of the sisters beds into their flats so they no longer have to sleep on the ground. Now we are just doing some more paperwork and preparation for tomorrows meetings. This past week has been a big step and increase for me I think. I will admit, it has caused, and will continue to cause some stretching in my life :) I really do not know how you and Sister Lew do it... you continue to inspire me with your hard work and diligence. I am very excited to work with you both and see you on a day to day basis. I know I will learn a lot. I am also very grateful for Elder Williams, he is a wonderful companion, and someone that I really enjoy being around. We have been talking a lot about what we want to accomplish, and how we feel both of us can influence the mission in a positive way. Thank you so much for the orientation that we had the other day, it helped me to realize what we can continue to do in order to be the best examples we can for the missionaries. I would like to set some new goals for myself and discuss the goals we can accomplish as a companionship in order to make sure we are meeting all of your expectations for us. I will try my best :) Thank you for the trust you have placed in me, I know that this position comes with a lot of responsibility and so I want to say thank you for the trust you have placed in me, I know that with the Lord, I can do what is required. I really enjoyed the experience of planning transfers. Though at times it was very stressful and exhausting, it made me understand the sanctity of transfers, and I now know on a personal level how inspired transfers really are. There were several times where the thought would come to me of who should be with whom, and feeling a little bit nervous or insecure because I was so new, I didn't voice my opinion yet, but held the thought in my mind, and thankfully almost every time, the idea that I had, was mentioned by someone else and it was done as well. That gave me more courage to voice my opinion later and I came to realize that the spirit is the one guiding us all, each of us may have different things that we know or feel, and impressions can come to us individually for the common good. For example, I felt strongly the impression that Sister Morales would be a great companion for Sister Levine. I thought this was quite odd since I barely knew sister Levine and had only a few interactions with sister Morales as well, but still, the thought came to me that they should be together and so I mentioned my opinions on it, and it came to pass! I think this was a tender mercy for me from the Lord, because prior to the transfer planning, I really did feel inadequate since I knew so very few of the missionaries. He knows my worries, and answers my prayers, I know that. 

This week from reading in the Book of Mormon, I came to appreciate more the value of a name. In Helaman 5, we learn of how Nephi and Lehi were named after their ancestors in order to help them remember their good works. My Dad once told me prior to my mission, that I need to remember BOTH of the names on my badge. firstly, and most important, is Jesus Christ. At all times I must represent Him. He also mentioned though, that I must not forget my surname which is also present on my badge. I have to remember the good deeds of my family, those who are supporting me, and remember that I will always represent them as well in a manner of speaking. 


So yeah, this week has been good but different for sure. I am starting to get to know many more missionaries and realy enjoy the power that they bring with them. It has been really great learning from President Lew so much as well. He gave me some great tips and instruction on how to properly conduct a meeting and make sure that I do a proper job. He is a very intelligent man for sure. 

Last night I had an awesome experience! I got to meet up with Andy (someone I had taught in my first two areas) and another great member friend from my first area in downtown sydney. We all went out and had some awesome chinese hot pot! It was absolutely delicious and was great to see some old friends as well :) I feel it a special blessing I can live and work in an area that is so close to all the people I used to teach and interact with. Being emergency transferred, I felt I didn't get a proper chance to say goodbye before leaving down to serve in Canberra, but I guess that is because the Lord knew it wasn't goodbye, it was just a "cya later!" I am grateful for the tender mercies He grants us. 

It is currently between the afternoon session and the priesthood session of General Conference. Since we have to hang around the chapel anyways, and the mission office is in the chapel, we wanted to use this opportunity to write some emails quick. I think (or hope) that we can get onto a more regular routine of things. Elder Williams and I have been talking a lot and he has mentioned he really appreciates that He and I have been able to do that. We have made a diligent effort to try and plan ahead and accomplish tasks when it makes more sense to, rather than just running about doing each task right when it comes. Instead, we have been able to step back and accomplish things in a more timely manner and it has turned out that we get more done! :) Yay! 
So yeah, since the computers normally are more available over the weekend since the senior couples don't work full days on the weekends, we are planning to email either on saturday or sunday if we can.... so you can keep an eye out for emails around this time I guess. 

From Conference so far I have learned some great lessons!

1) Everyone needs Love, Prayers, and a "thank you" (Elder Rasband)
2) Christlike love is the most needed thing on the planet (Elder Holland)
3) Daily Scripture study and Prayer Simplify, not complicate our lives (Sister Reeves)
4) The world will not glide calmly to the Second Coming of the Savior (Elder Andersen)
5) God makes it attractive to Choose the right by giving us consequences (Elder Eyring)

More to come from the afternoon session and other sessions, I need to go now :)

Have a great week!!
Love ya,

Elder Shafer

No comments:

Post a Comment