Kyle has been serving his mission for...

Kyle has been serving his mission for...

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sydney South Mission Week 3

Dear Everyone!

Happy Easter!! I hope the easter bunny arrived safe and sound and has delivered some goodies worth keeping. I have fond memories of running around as a child looking for easter eggs and being so happy to get all those goodies :) Too bad this year I just need to buy my own haha. This easter has been a great one and will continue to be I am sure! tonight we have a missionary Easter fireside that we will likely be attending, I am sure the music and speakers will do a great job, will let you know how it goes though :) 

Things have been pretty busy around the office recently, but all continues to go along well. Yesterday Elder Williams and I took a new senior couple out to Bathurst. With them only arriving and having very little experience driving in AU, we didn't feel it was wise to just send them out there alone all by themselves, so we drove with them and dropped them off and helped show them around and become accustomed to the good ol outback of Australia :) All in all, it was about 8 hours of driving to and from including some traffic, so it was a LONG day of driving. It is absolutely beautiful out where they live though. 

For my study this morning, I reflected upon the Savior's sacrifice and Resurrection. one of my favorite talks upon this subject is Elder Hollands address "none were with Him." https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/04/none-were-with-him?lang=eng 
I would invite you all to read it and apply his invitation that we "declare ourselves to be more fully disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, not in word only and not only in the flush of comfortable times but in deed and in courage and in faith, including when the path is lonely and when our cross is difficult to bear. This Easter week and always, may we stand by Jesus Christ “at all times and in all things, and in all places that [we] may be in, even until death,” 21  for surely that is how He stood by us when it was unto death and when He had to stand entirely and utterly alone."

I have seen in my life time and time again how having a strong belief in Jesus Christ and trust in Him has helped me. Life is hard, but following the gospel of Jesus Christ makes life easier and more enjoyable. Because of Him, we all will live again. At this Easter season, and hopefully at each Easter season I will reflect upon my good friend John Wang. Last year, I met John on the street in Sydney. Talking with him and helping him find directions to Chinatown, I asked if he had a belief in God. He replied that he didn't believe God is real. I asked if He knew why we were celebrating Easter that upcoming weekend. He also didn't know what the meaning of Easter was, and why we celebrated it. I invited him to come with us to the chapel, where we could explain to Him why Easter is so important for us in the world. Though it wasn't a fast process, this one question branched off into many others and many questions answered for John before he decided to become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is and always will be an inspiration to me! Easter time is such a wonderful time to celebrate the renewal of many things, but most importantly, the resurrection of our Savior, and ponder upon our blessings because He Lives. There is a great video I would like to share with you all:


watch and enjoy! :)


I hope you all have a fantastic easter and truly enjoy the meaning of why we celebrate this wonderful holiday :)

Love,

Elder Shafer

No comments:

Post a Comment